Built in 1883 by the Illinois Central Railroad this 100,000 gallon tower and the newly built 32 acre lake helped to modernize rail traffic by eliminating four stops by the steam engines between Centralia and Effingham.
The City of Kinmundy purchased the water tower and the lake in 1961 and used both in the water system for the City until 2001, when the new 107 acre lake was built. The tower was then retired after 118 years of continuous service. It has been completely restored. The Illinois Central Wooden Water Tower was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on November 12, 1998. ©2016 Art BySilent Studio
Feed the Starving Photographer
The honor system is observed. All images on our sub-domain (Photo Gallery) are freely available for use.